Virginia Green Announces 2017 Green Travel Star & Green Travel Leader Award Winners!
Awards were presented on March 2nd at the 5th annual Virginia Green Travel Conference held at the Virginia Beach Convention Center
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – March 2, 2018
RICHMOND, VA. -- The Virginia Green program presented the Virginia Green Travel Star Award to nineteen (19) Virginia tourism operations for their outstanding commitments to sustainability and contributions to green tourism at the 5th annual Virginia Green Travel Conference and Travel Star Awards Celebration. An additional sixteen (16) tourism businesses were recognized and received the Virginia Green Travel Leader Award for their efforts to protect the environment and promote green tourism in Virginia.
The conference was held on March 1-2, 2018, at the Virginia Beach Convention Center. It featured educational workshops, amazing speakers and panels, a green tourism business expo that is open to the public, and 2 engaging keynote speakers – Anthony Rossi of Terracycle (opening) and Glenn Hasek of Green Lodging News (closing). The conference culminated on March 2nd with the Virginia Green Travel Star Awards Luncheon, hosted by Rita McClenny, CEO of Virginia Tourism Corporation.
“This marks the Virginia Green program’s 10th year of working to promote sustainable practices in Virginia’s tourism industry,” said Tom Griffin, the Director of the Virginia Green Travel Alliance. “We were so happy to celebrate this occasion in Virginia Beach, which has long been a stronghold for the Virginia Green program.”
The Virginia Green program is supported through a partnership between the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality, the Virginia Tourism Corporation, the Virginia Restaurant, Lodging & Travel Association, and the Virginia Green Travel Alliance. The program encourages green practices in all sectors of Virginia’s tourism industry. More than 1,800 businesses and partner organizations have voluntarily certified their green business practices through the Virginia Green program.
The 2017 Virginia Green Travel Star Award winners are:
- Green Attraction of the Year Khamaira Farm, Luray
- Green B&B of the Year Oak Grove Plantation B&B, South Boston
- Green Brewery of the Year Wild Wolf Brewing Company, Nellysford
- Green Caterer of the Year Full Circle Catering, Lexington
- Green Conference Center of the Year Lansdowne Resort & Spa, Leesburg
- Green Convention Center of the Year Virginia Beach Convention Center
- Green Event of the Year Venture Richmond & Sportsbackers
- Green Hostel of the Year Hostelling International Richmond
- Green Hotel of the Year Hilton Richmond Downtown
- Green Restaurant of the Year Cary Street Café’, Richmond
- Green Resort of the Year Fairfield Kingsgate Property, Williamsburg
- Green Supplier of the Year Vastly, Richmond
- Green Vacation Rental of the Year Sandswept, Virginia Beach
- Green Winery of the Year Williamsburg Winery
- Most Innovative Green Projects Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center,
- Most Innovative Green Projects Virginia Living Museum, Newport News
- Most Innovative Green Projects Virginia State Parks
- Most Innovative Green Projects Clean Virginia Waterways of Longwood, Farmville
- Most Innovative Green Projects Keep Virginia Beautiful
The 2017 Virginia Green Travel Leader Award winners are:
- Back INN Time, Kilmarnock
- Birdsong Pleasure Garden, Luray
- Clay Corner Inn & Spa, Blacksburg
- Coelacanth Brewing Company, Norfolk
- Green Leaf and Pebble Tea Spa, Virginia Beach
- Hampton Inn Washington Dulles South
- Harrisonburg Farmer’s Market
- Inn at Riverbend, Pearisburg
- InterExchange Summer Work Travel Project, Virginia Beach
- Mountain Song Inn, Willis
- Panache Catering Company, Middletown
- Peabody’s “Hip Little Stay” B&B, Luray
- Port City Brewing Company, Alexandria
- South Court Inn, Luray
- The Westin Richmond
- Westin Reston Heights
Major sponsors for the conference and awards included Hilton Worldwide, Virginia Tourism Corporation, Virginia DEQ, Virginia State Parks, Marriott International, Ecolab, Richmond Region Tourism, the Virginia Aquarium & Marine Science Center, and the Virginia Beach Convention & Visitors Bureau,
For more information, please contact Tom Griffin of the Virginia Green Travel Alliance at (804) 986-9119 or VirginiaGreen@Virginia.org.
The Virginia Tourism Corporation promotes the Virginia Green program partners at www.VirginiaGreenTravel.org and encourages visitors to plan their green vacations in Virginia.
The Virginia Department of Environmental Quality provides technical resources and oversight of the certification process -- www.deq.virginia.gov/Programs/PollutionPrevention/VirginiaGreen.aspx.
The Virginia Green Travel Alliance is the non-profit organization that administers the Virginia Green certification program and supports partner outreach and educational opportunities – www.VirginiaGreen.net & VirginiaGreenTravelAlliance.org.
The Virginia Restaurant Lodging & Hospitality Association assists in promotion and development of educational opportunities for the tourism industry.